Wednesday 13 April 2011

Beetroot and barley...



Yes, it's another recipe from Domestic Sluttery! And another one that went straight to the top of my 'must try' list, instead of languishing in my recipe file for ages.

It's ridiculously easy to make - I didn't have dried mushrooms, so I just used a handful of fresh ones, and I had a leek that needed using, so I used that instead of onion. And I used the vacuum-packed cooked beetroot that you can get in the supermarket - the stuff without vinegar.

I just fried the leek and mushrooms together until the mushrooms had released their juice and everything had started to go slightly brown, and then followed the recipe from there on. I baked mine for an hour, because I didn't put mozzarella on the top - instead, I topped mine with a generous blob of Total 0% yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped dill. And it's seriously lovely - the beetroot is gorgeously earthy, the balsamic adds a bit of a tang, and the barley is lovely and chewy. I can see myself making a big dish of the stuff if I ever have a group of beetroot lovers round for supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...