Sunday 15 May 2011

I blame Hugh...



I've mentioned before that I sometimes see recipes and just have to make them at the earliest opportunity. Well, this evening I took that need for instant food gratification to a whole new level.

I was watching River Cottage Every Day, with good old Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, and he made lemon curd muffins. I'd been wondering how I could use my lemon curd, so as to prevent me from sitting and eating it all by myself with a spoon, and all of a sudden there was a perfect lemon curd recipe on my TV! So I jumped up, switched on the oven, and (thanks to the wonders of modern technology) rewound the programme so that I could scribble the recipe down. Under an hour later, I've got lemon curd muffins cooling in the kitchen.

And here's the recipe - I decided to tweak it by using a little wholemeal flour along with the plain, and I had half a bag of dried blueberries in the cupboard so I chucked them in as well. I also don't usually have milk in the house, so my liquid was made up of 120ml of Kara coconut milk and a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt. So these muffins are actually quite good for you!

Lemon curd and blueberry muffins (with a lot of help from Hugh F-W)

makes 10-12

75g butter
225g plain flour (or 175g plain and 50g wholemeal)
100g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
about 50g dried blueberries
2 eggs
125ml milk
lemon curd

Melt the butter.

Whisk the flour in a large bowl, add the salt and baking powder and whisk to combine.

In a separate jug, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter.

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, working quickly and stopping when they are just combined.

Place a spoonful of batter into each muffin case and top with half a teaspoon of lemon curd. Then add another spoonful of batter to cover the lemon curd.

Bake at 180C for around 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...