Sunday 26 February 2012

Weekend cooking...

I've done quite a bit of cooking this weekend, and most of it has been really very successful. As well as last night's banana ice cream triumph, I made a tofu pilaf for supper - which was based on this recipe, but I roasted the courgette with some tofu and used that instead of the tuna. I'll have to try it with the tuna at some point, though, and I reckon it'd be gorgeous with some baked cod.

Then this afternoon I was bored and I spotted this flourless chocolate cupcake recipe on Pinterest, so I decided to give it a go.
And the cakes turned out OK, but they weren't really chocolatey enough and the almond flavour really overpowered the chocolate. That might have been because I used almond oil as well as the ground almonds, but whatever happened they were just a bit nondescript. I've put them in the freezer for chocolate emergencies!

After that slight disappointment, I was a bit wary of trying another new recipe, but I decided to give it a go anyway and I'm so glad I did! I made some gorgeous mini tofu quiches, using this Fat Free Vegan recipe. They were so easy to make and absolutely delicious - I didn't have any peppers so I used onion and mushrooms, and I didn't have any herbs so I used some chilli flakes. I also used a whole pack of Cauldron tofu (which is just under 400g) rather than the 350g specified, but I added a little bit more almond milk when I was blending it (honestly, my little blender has been a real workhorse this weekend!) and it was perfect.
I had them with a big pile of garlicky sautéed leek and spring greens - my mum's dinner party staple when I was growing up was courgette and leek in garlic butter, and it really reminded me of that (without loads of butter, obviously!)

Apart from the cooking, it's been a glorious weekend weather-wise - and spring is starting to show itself, with these lovely crocuses in the park!



1 comment:

  1. I'm now even more impressed with the tofu quiches, because I've just realised I forgot to add the cornflour to the tofu mix, and they still came out perfectly! Maybe it was the extra tofu I added, or maybe the Cauldron tofu is just naturally firmer and better at holding together than the US tofu. Anyway, I had some more for lunch today and they were just as delicious! I quite fancy using the recipe to make a big frittata-type thing, too...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...