Monday 8 August 2011

Nutty nut butter...

A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across a bit of a revolutionary blog post at Vegan Epicurean. It mentioned homemade reduced fat nut butter - 'you what??' I thought! I love nut butter - and nuts are really good for you - but nut butters can be quite oily and VERY calorific.

So when I was tempted by a jar of cashew butter in Holland & Barrett on my way home from work, I thought I'd give it a go.

You take an ordinary jar of nut butter...



...and you pour off all the oil that's collected on the top. There was at least a couple of tablespoons of oil on the top of my jar!

Then you scoop the nut butter into a bowl, and whip it up using a hand beater (or you can put it in a food processor), adding water a little at a time until it goes all fluffy and creamy.



Like this!



The added bonus is that the whipped butter is much more voluminous, so you get more of it (you'll probably need a bigger jar!)



It tastes fab - really nutty and creamy without being at all greasy. And it spreads really, really well. It's still not exactly low-fat, but I certainly feel a lot better about it than I do about stirring a load of oil into my nut butter every time I want to eat some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...