Tuesday 21 June 2011

Overnight Oats...

In the winter, porridge is my breakfast of choice. It's healthy, it's cheap, you can have all sorts of things with it, and it's the only thing that actually keeps me feeling full for a good few hours. Much better than supposedly 'healthy' cereals - I'm always starving half an hour after eating those!

But when the weather warms up, I don't want porridge. And I still want something healthy and interesting. So imagine how pleased I was when I discovered Overnight Oats! I'm way behind on the trend - it swept the food blogging world MONTHS ago - but it's great.



The above photo was a mix of ordinary porridge oats, chopped mixed nuts and dates, with skimmed milk, but my usual weekday ONO is made with three heaped tablespoons of oats and wheatbran, a tablespoon of millet flakes, a tablespoon of flaked almonds, and Kara coconut milk, with a splash of water if necessary. You just mix it all up and stick it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning it's creamy and soft and lovely. For a while I added grated apple and cinnamon, but at the moment I'm on a dates-and-mixed-spice kick. And my special pre-run weekend bowl has chopped banana and a sneaky half-teaspoon of cocoa powder! You can really add anything you want - a blob of cherry jam is gorgeous for a Bakewell-inspired affair, or the other week I turned some slightly manky apples into apple compote and that was amazing on top of my ONO. It's my new favourite breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...