Friday 7 May 2010

Is that risotto on your windowsill?





Indeed it is. I had celery in my veg box this week, and I'm not a huge fan of celery, but I do like it as long as it's cooked in things. And I know it makes a really good risotto base. So I followed Jamie Oliver's risotto method - you cook up a risotto base with onions, celery, wine and stock, until the rice is just starting to soften. Then you spread the part-cooked rice very thinly on a tray and cool it quickly. That way, you can then transfer the rice into a container and keep it in the fridge, where it'll keep for a couple of days, and you can make risotto really quickly whenever you like just by cooking it up with a bit more stock and whatever other ingredients you want. I decided to use some of the asparagus and green beans that also came in the veg box - and I added a tiny bit of smoked cheese and put a poached egg on top. It was lovely, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...