Friday, 10 August 2012
Amazing fish pie...
Serves 4 greedy people (like me and my family) or probably 6 normal people
2 smoked cod fillets
2 plain cod fillets or loins
1 pint non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
About 300g raw king prawns
3 tablespoons rice flour (or other gluten-free plain flour)
1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
Large handful parsley, chopped
Large handful frozen peas
About 1kg floury potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2" chunks
About 1 tablespoon Pure sunflower spread
Big splash of non-dairy milk or soya cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Place the fish fillets into your ovenproof serving dish and pour over the pint of milk. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until just opaque.
3. Lift the fish out of the milk and place on a plate to cool slightly, then sieve the milk into a jug.
4. When the fish is cool enough to handle, remove any skin and bones and place in large chunks back into the serving dish, along with the prawns and peas. Season (not too much salt as the smoked fish may be quite salty).
5. Make the sauce by combining the flour and oil in a pan to make a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes on a medium heat, then remove from the heat and add the milk you poached the fish in. Whisk to get rid of any lumps, then return to a low heat and whisk until the sauce thickens. Season with pepper and stir in the chopped parsley. Pour the sauce over the fish and leave to stand.
6. Make the mashed potato by putting the chopped potato in a large pan, covering with water and boiling until tender. Drain and mash with the Pure and a splash of non-dairy milk or soya cream. Season.
7. Top the pie with the mashed potato, fluffing up the surface with a fork. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.