Saturday 14 July 2012

Gluten-free vegan peanut butter cookies

I do like a bit of peanut butter. Recently I was discussing peanut butter with some friends (mainly the controversial issue of whether to butter one's toast before spreading it with peanut butter - I say absolutely not!) and the subject of Meridian's no added salt or sugar peanut butter came up. Apparently it's the best there is! So of course I went out and bought some...and then wondered what to do with the half-jar of Whole Earth (which might be organic but has added oil and salt) sitting in my kitchen.

I had a bit of a Google for peanut butter cookie recipes, but most of them seemed to include a ton of sugar, or sugary things like maple syrup. So in the end I totally made up my own recipe, and I was amazed to find that it worked really well! I made them gluten-free because I fancied using buckwheat flour and I thought 'in for a penny, in for a pound, let's make them totally GF!' And they happen to be vegan as well. They're seriously easy and really tasty. I'll definitely be making them again!

Gluten-free vegan peanut butter cookies

Makes around 20 cookies

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup Doves Farm GF plain flour (or ordinary flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup (around 130g) peanut butter

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Mix the flours and baking powder together in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mash the banana well, then stir in the peanut butter until well combined.
4. Tip the flour mix into the peanut butter and banana, and stir together to form a dough.
5. Break off pieces of dough and roll into balls about 1" across. Place on the baking tray and flatten with the back of a fork.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious! I'm drinking a cuppa right now and NEED one of your cookies to dunk!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...